The king of Italian cheeses, Parmigiano Reggiano’s heritage dates back 900 years!
Parmesan, pea and asparagus risotto
Serves 4 – Preparation 10 minutes – Cooking 30 minutes
- 70g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 150g asparagus, chopped
- 300g risotto rice
- 200ml white wine
- 700ml vegetable stock
- 150g peas, preferably fresh
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 120g grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Pea shoots and olive oil, to serve
- Melt 50g butter in a heavy pan, sweat the onion and garlic, add the celery and half the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the risotto rice and stir until coated in butter and translucent. Add wine and stir until the liquid has evaporated.
- Add 500ml stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring until the stock has been absorbed. Pour in the remaining 200ml stock, asparagus and peas. Bring to the boil and stir until most of the stock has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the crème fraîche, 80g Parmigiano Reggiano, zest and juice of ½ lemon and remaining butter. Season to taste. Serve sprinkled with lemon zest, pea shoots, more Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.