A new series of Sicilian recipes. Sicily offers delicious influences from all over the Mediterranean and beyond!
Aubergine and Pomegranate Salad
- 2 medium aubergines cut lengthways into 4mm-thick slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- grated zest and freshly squeezed juice of 2 unwaxed lemons
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1½ tbsp good-quality extra virgin olive oil
- a handful of mint, roughly chopped
- a handful of flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 100g pecorino (soft or firm)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sprinkle the aubergine slices with salt. Weigh down and leave for 15 minutes. Remove and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy frying pan and fry the aubergine slices for a few minutes on both sides until soft. Choose a ridged pan if you can, as the aubergine looks far more attractive this way.
- Mix the lemon zest and juice, garlic, vinegar and oil, then mix this dressing with the aubergine, and scatter with the chopped herbs, pomegranate seeds and pecorino. If using soft pecorino place it in dollops, if firm scatter shavings. Season and serve.