Third in our new series of Sicilian recipes is this beautiful, flavour filled recipe…
Chicken with salmoriglio
Pollo al salmoriglio
Serves 4-6 – Preparation 2 hours – Cooking 40 minutes
- 1 1.8kg chicken (preferably organic), butterflied
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
For the salmoriglio:
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 bunches of oregano (or 1 good handful)
- 60ml extra-virgin olive oil
- the freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges, to serve
- Place the chicken in a sealable plastic bag with the oil, rosemary and garlic. Season well, seal the bag and massage the chicken through the bag to coat well. Marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Bring the chicken back to room temperature before cooking. Transfer the chicken to a casserole dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas Mark 4. Roast the chicken in the preheated oven until browned and the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a skewer, approximately 35-40 minutes.
- For the salmoriglio, pound the garlic with a generous pinch of salt to a paste, add the oregano and chop to a paste, then add to a jug with the oil, lemon juice and black pepper. Serve with the chicken with lemon wedges for squeezing over.