Gelato al limone
Mario Matassa shares his recipe for this refreshing lemon ice cream
Whoever said ‘you can’t have your cake and eat it’? On a hot summer’s evening, it can be hard to decide whether to end a meal with a either a refreshing sorbetto or an iced digestivo.
With this recipe, you can actually have both!
This zesty lemon ice cream is utterly refreshing, delicious and light, and the perfect end to a summer evening.
➤ SERVES 4
➤ PREPARATION 30 minutes
➤ FREEZING overnight
- 2 large free-range eggs, separated
- 475ml full fat milk
- 275g caster sugar
- 25ml limoncello
- the grated zest and juice of 2 untreated lemons
- Separate the eggs and whisk the yolks for a couple of minutes with the milk. Add the sugar, limoncello, and lemon zest and juice. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are stiff. Fold into the lemon mixture.
- If you have an ice cream maker, follow the instructions and freeze until set. If you do not, pour the mixture into a shallow Tupperware container with a lid and freeze until half set. At this point you might see some separation. Remove and whisk by hand and then return to the freezer.
- Repeat this process once more as it helps to prevent ice crystals forming. Allow to freeze overnight before serving.
Find more recipes in our archive.