This Melanzane con quartirolo e peperoncino is the perfect veggie dish served with some crusty bread!
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large aubergine, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped chilli peppers in olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a handful of basil leaves, chopped
- 100g Quartirolo Lombardo cheese
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan – it is important to get the oil nice and hot or the aubergine will absorb it too quickly and become soggy.
- Add the aubergine to the pan, gently move it around to coat it evenly, and fry for about 4 minutes.
- Once the aubergine is beginning to soften, add the garlic and chilli. Continue cooking for a further 3 minutes, until the aubergine has started to brown.
- Turn off the heat, season to taste, then add the basil leaves. (For a completely different taste you could substitute fresh mint leaves for the basil.)
- Crumble the Quartirolo Lombardo into the pan and give everything a good mix. Serve hot or cold with plenty of crusty ciabatta.
- TIP A specialist importer will supply Quartirolo Lombardo, but if you can’t find any, a good feta would work perfectly well in this dish.